[SGVLUG] New LUG in Burbank

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu May 21 00:56:44 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 04:47:43PM -0700, Kenny Leao wrote:
> We are a linux group looking for other linux enthusiasts. This group has a
> great friendly atmosphere. allot of knowledge to be found and pass on.

Great.  I've always advocated that more LUGs should be formed in other
cities (except for small adjacent cities such as Altadena, San Marino,
etc.) so that people don't need to travel so far.  My suggestions for
this new group is to become a LUG and not just be a Ubuntu group.
Also, I think it's better to find a meeting place other than a cafe or
the like.  The San G. Valley LUG first meet in a private home.

I recall that that was an attempt some years ago to form a Glendale
LUG that didn't seem to work out.  But Burbank borders on Glendale as
does Pasadena so this is a region where the two LUGS compete.  There
is a San Fernando Valley LUG which meets (I think) near the Van Nuys
airport (W of the 405 freeway).

With more LUGs I think that while the attendance for each lug would
likely drop, the total attendance should rise since not only is the
travel distance shorter in many cases, but for some there is a choice
of which LUG to attend and thus competition for attendees.

> Come join us!
>
> http://www.meetup.com/midnitemac/
>
> by the way, We barely missed the last meeting at cal tech. We will
> be coming to the next lug meeting at cal tech on June 11, 2009.  we
> will be bringing our linux laptops/netbooks :-)
			David Lawyer