[SGVLUG] Not-so-quick question 1

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Mon May 11 15:18:20 PDT 2009

Thanks Mic, the link was educational.  I don't think most of this applies,
but upgrading the BIOS in the case may be the solution I was looking for.
This started when I upgraded the drive in the external enclosure from 128G
to 256G and 500G so this is likely the problem.

Yes, I was testing this on a racked desktop.  I have been having general
problems getting USB out to the desktop.  I have 14 systems with
keyboard/monitor extenders and have had nothing but intermittent trouble
with them over the last few years.  Generally they work for me, but other
users are reporting lots of trouble with keyboards/drive intermittently
being lost to the host computer.

I thought that plugging in one high speed USB device slowed down all devices
on that controller, which would make plugging into another port on the
machine no different, though it would take the hub and distance out of the
equation.  I'll give it a try on the front panel ports to see if there is
different behavior.

I don't like the article's solution of turning off the drive write cache,
that really has big performance implications.

As for using another bus the 'Maximum distance' of 4.5 meters between
Firewire devices had me dismiss it as a drive extension bus.  I have also
had a lot of compatibility and performance problems with Firewire devices
over the years so I tend to avoid it.  eSata's 2 meter limit is even shorter
though I like the bus in general.

I was hoping to use this drive as an external for a couple of rack mounted
Fedora machines, but the Windows errors were worrying me that there were
drive reliability issues at work that Linux wasn't catching.

Matt