[SGVLUG] La "computer fair" only at Pomona now?

Stan Slonkosky stan.ke6zc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 17:10:39 PDT 2009

The main competitor to LA Computer Fair in this area was megashow.com
, which had shows in Glendale, Northridge and a few other places.
Their web site says there will be no more computer shows until further
notice.

In the last few years of my going to the Pomona Computerfair, I got
the impression that it was slowly dying out. I used to buy an annual
pass every year, but my last pass ran out a year ago and I haven't
been back since. Vendors were complaining about the high cost of a
booth ($800, but I see they've now lowered it to $495) making it hard
for them to break even. Some vendors came only once to introduce their
products. It was interesting to learn about new products. While I
prefer to be able to look things over before I buy it, the prices from
online vendors were about the same or lower and they had a greater
selection. Quite often, the Computer Vendors might have sold what I
needed/wanted, but didn't bring it along to the show.

I now buy mostly from Mwave, Newegg, PCMall/MacMall and Amazon.

I haven't been to ACP in over 10 years, so I don't know how well that
one is going.

TRW (the signs now say Northrup/Grumman) on the last Saturday of the
month doesn't really have a lot of computer stuff and a lot of it is
used. Chino Hills High School (3rd Saturday of the month) has even
fewer computer items, also mainly used.

My observation of Microcenter is that their prices are usually higher
than Fry's, I usually go to Irvine a couple of times a week and thus
pass by, but usually I don't even bother getting off the freeway.
--
Stan Slonkosky