[SGVLUG] Fwd: PJUG meeting Phishing 06/29

Jana Lingo jana.lingo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 13:44:17 PDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jana Lingo <jana.lingo at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:33 PM
Subject: PJUG meeting Phishing 06/29
To: pasadenajug at googlegroups.com, lajug at lajug.org, ocjug at ocjug.org

Wes Boudville will be explaining what is phishing, the current
techniques used to combat it ,and his company's methods.
Wes has a PHD in Physics and has several patents pending
Our meeting, will as usual, be held in the EHarmony lunchroom at 888 E
Walnut (SW corner of Lake, aka Indy Mac building) at 7 PM. Please park
in the Garage behind the building (you will be compensated) The
lunchroom is on the west side building facing Walnut.
the meeting will be from 7-8:30ish PM, and Eharmony will be providing
Free Pizza and Soda, and our sponsor will be be providing Free Copies
of IntelliJ and Java Rebel, plus other schwag
Hope to see you there!
To quote Wes:
"Phishing Talk
-------------
It will have 3 parts. BTW - There will be no powerpoint. It will be on
whiteboard. Maybe you can pretend it's 1985 and it's a college
seminar.

1. What is phishing [and pharming] ?

You probably already know this. But I will start from scratch. This
part will be brief. I will define a simple graph that shows what the
phisher wants to do.

2. Current industry countermeasures

The main countermeasures by the industry will be explained. Including
in terms of the graph in Part 1. The methods include blacklist, two
factor, domain registration scrutiny, and heuristics [rules of thumb].
The methods can be classified into two groups - preemptive and
reactive. Drawbacks of each will be explained.

3. Our company [Metaswarm] "notphish" method.

This will be a technical discussion. No sales pitch. I'm the co-inventor."