[SGVLUG] Fwd: Invitation to Linux.com

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Jun 25 11:25:04 PDT 2009

> -----Original Message----- Of Dan Kegel
>
> Interested?

A little - it looks a bit like a templated social-net site (i.e., "Ning") but the concept the guy is trying to sell below (match users to groups actually "local" to them) is going to be a tough nut to crack - there are already 10+ pages of "groups" with the keyword/category "local user group", and the only (effective) "sorting" is by activity or size, but not by geography...  (you can search by name, but then you need to know the NAME of the group, which if you did, you wouldn't be using this site to find a local group...)

There are some features I like, and in some ways I'd like to add them to our site, but I don't know if it's really worth the effort (would people post their own articles, blogs, photos, etc. if we had that ability?  Would anyone actively create "sub-networks" [link/list their "friends"]?  My guess is "probably not", but who knows?  Maybe nobody has suggested it because there are so many OTHER places to do this the thought of doing the same HERE never crossed their mind...)

[...]
> As members of Linux.com, you can:
>
> Create a Group for your LUG [...] eventually our site
> will match local visitors to Linux.com to events in their
> area.
[...]