[SGVLUG] Hi and Thanks

Steve Sawkins ssawkins at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 09:01:37 PDT 2009

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the meeting and am looking
forward to the next one.

Some topics of interest for me would be:

1. Virtualization, so having someone hand me some open-source
virtualization software when I walked in the door was too cool.
Haven't got to try it yet, but Sun generally does open-source the
right way.

2. IPSEC, so I'm wondering how well LVS does that. I worked at a
network security firm for 10 years and helped launch their first Linux
product(running on a 2.2 kernel with Kondara Linux, if anyone's heard
of that). One of the last projects we did (2007, I think) was get
IPSEC working through a load-balancer from F5, so getting it going
through LVS has got to be easier. Really enjoyed Solomon's talk, BTW.

3. Bugzilla - I'm running a couple of VM's loaded with RedHat EL 3
with Bugzilla 3.0.3 and I'm thinking that I can do better. If anyone's
messing with Bugzilla right now I wouldn't mind hearing from them.

4. Embedded Linux - We're running a 2.4 Linux on some OPTO 22 module
at work and I've been charged with supporting it, so anything anyone
has to say on that would be worthwhile.

Thanks for making a newcomer feel welcome! Maybe I'll join you guys at
B.C. next time if my family can spare me. As an old techer (B.S. '86,
Math) the place is pretty familiar to me (their ads used to call
themselves "Caltech's Burger Continental") but I haven't been there in
years...

Regards,

Steve Sawkins