[SGVLUG] OT(TTM) Tankless Water Heater

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 01:04:24 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:54 PM, DYN: Jim Workman<JimW at dynashoe.com> wrote:
> Off Topic (To The Max):
>
> I need to replace my water heater and am considering a tankless model.  Is
> anyone already using this new technology?
>
> Any feedback?
>

> Jim Workman

When we did our remodel 8 years ago, we wanted to move the water
heater somewhere else so we could move the clothes dryer inside
instead of behind the house.  We considered a tank-less instant water
heater but were told we would need to have a new gas line put in.  So
we had them carve out some space in the corner of the new family room
for a water heater closet with the access door out back.  Once they
framed it out I realized I if we doubled the cut out in the family
room I could get a data closet out if it.  woo hoo!

Anyway a friend of mine went tank-less for his remodel but he
installed a recirc pump so this loop becomes his storage tank.  I
believe it's on a timer so it only runs during the hours when they are
likely to need hot water.  Don't recall what happens if you need hot
water during "off" hours.    He's had it maybe a year so I'll have to
ask him how it's working out.   My neighbors across the street also
installed a tank-less system but that was early this year so I don't
know if they have anything to say about it yet.

claude