[SGVLUG] Google's new OS move

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Jul 8 15:43:44 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Emerson, Tom
(*IC)<Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
>> [So, where does Chrome come in?  I thought Chrome was the
>> browser, and Android the Linux-based operating system.  --jek]
>
> What's so unusual about that?  For Years, Microsoft has made the claim that their graphically-oriented "shell" called "Windows" is an operating system, so why not a browser as the OS?

Compare with the CrunchPad recently in the press
( http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/1656853,ihnatko-techcruch-crunchpad-070809.article
)
which runs the browser and not much else.

I think the intent of the CrunchPad is to be *only* a web browser
rather than a general purpose computer.

Or compare with a Kindle... which is *only* a pdf reader, not a
general purpose computer.

Does that help?
- Dan