[SGVLUG] The "ultimate linux box for 2009" -- what would youput into it?

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Jan 15 17:27:29 PST 2009

> -----Original Message----- Of matti
>
> Power Supply!!!
> -------------------
>
> I bought one of those Dell Deals last year,
> and the frustrating thing is that the power
> supply isn't powerful enough to handle additional
> components, NOR old style power connectors.

Part of the problem is that you bought a Dell... ;)

I've seen/noticed that the "name brand" computers tend to have
non-standard mounting brackets and/or parts bays -- OTOH, any "generic"
PC case (even the more fanciful "gamer" cases) all have the *exact* same
sized "spot" to put the power supply (or at least a *minimum* size for
the supply...)

> I recall it being very challenging to find good
> power supply reviews awhile back - things have
> gotten better thanks to people building custom
> gaming rigs. Still sometimes power supplies can
> run $100+!! OUCH.

At the time I built my previous machine, you more-or-less would buy the
case WITH a power supply [probably in the range of 100-300 watts,
though...]  I was somewhat surprised when I found the "recommended" case
for the system did NOT come with a power supply AND that
externally-purchased supplies were as much as (or more!) than the case
itself. (typically $100 would get you a very nice case/supply combo,
while $65-80 would generally get you an acceptable solution, so $95 for
the case + $more for the supply was outrageous at the time!)

As such, I was looking for about 600W at the time; most supplies at the
pomona show were $100-150 or more, and I finally found one for $30 or so
and went with it.  It finally died some time last year and I replaced it
with a 750W unit from Fry's (for about $100, I think)