[SGVLUG] The "ultimate linux box for 2009" -- what would you put into it?

Rod Morison rod at morison.biz
Thu Jan 15 15:54:33 PST 2009

I've been pretty happy with ShuttlePCs. Built my current unit 11/08. The
mobo specs are typical microatx, but the cooling system is nice and
quiet. Not t-o-l gaming system, but plenty fast for the s/w dev I do,
w/  3-4 guest OSs usually up.

Cost $1180 from newegg, n/i rebates, tax & ship...I'm still waiting for
rebates *grrrr*, but in theory, they cancel tax+ship.

What I _would_ have added was a PCI raid 1 card, extra 10k Raptor for
the raid. There's another PCI Express x16 slot, if the GeForce 8200
isn't fast enough for yah.

---

LG Black LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA Model
GGC-H20LK - OEM
   Item #: N82E16827136154

Shuttle Prima XPC SN78SH7 AMD Socket AM2+ / AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200
Black Barebone - Retail
   Item #: N82E16856101073

Logitech 967557-0403 Silver/Black USB + PS/2 RF Wireless Slim Cordless
Desktop S 510 - Retail
   Item #: N82E16823126180

AMD Phenom 9950 Agena 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition
Processor Model HD995ZXAGHBOX - Retail
   Item #: N82E16819103291

Link Depot 10 ft. HDMI To DVI Cable, Black Model HDMI-DVI-3 - OEM
   Item #: N82E16812189057

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Hard Drive - OEM
   Item #: N82E16822136260

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
(PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC24G8500ELKR2 - Retail
   Item #: N82E16820220314