[SGVLUG] The "ultimate linux box for 2009" -- what would you put into it?

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Jan 15 15:41:27 PST 2009

OK, the last time I put together a desktop from scratch, I was actually
following a "recipe" from the UK mag "Linux Format" -- at the time, the
"ultimate" machine was an AMD-64 with an MSI "Neo" motherboard, about a
gig of ram, a coolermaster case, and an
"I-cant-remember-if-it-was-nvidia-or-ati" video card  [since replaced,
though, with an nvidia...]

Now I'm considering an updated system -- I see there are great new
choices for processor, memory, cooling [a recent PC mag featured an
OIL-cooled system -- completely immersed...] video (multiple cards
even), and so on [terrabyte+ drives, solid state drives, etc.]

If you were to build your fantasy/ultimate/dream-machine today, what
would you put into it?

(and why)

What would you avoid (and why...)