[SGVLUG] Revision Control Systems

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 11:19:15 PST 2009

I'm a long time user of CVS.  Started with SCCS when I first started
on Unix but someone on the project had written shell script wrappers
so I never learned the actual commands.  A few people here at work
have pushed for switching to subversion but they could never get
enough buy-in to get their projects to switch.  A big concern was that
it wasn't clear if we could migrate our CVS revision history.

As for starting a new repository or module in CVS, yeah it's a pain as
it's something you do only once in a while so I always have to dig up
the manual.  Otherwise most of the time you are using the diff, update
-n and log commands.  Lately I've been using LinCVS which makes it
trivial to do side by side color coded diffs with your sandbox or any
revision of a file for that matter.  It also makes it easier to
manipulate tags.

>From the SourceForge page at http://sourceforge.net/projects/lincvs/

"LinCVS is a graphical interface for the cvs client on Unix, Windows
and Mac OS X. Besides support of most of the cvs commands, LinCVS
provides manifoldy graphical support of project maintenance."