[SGVLUG] SCALE first day quick review and WE have a presenter 4 april!

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 22:59:46 PST 2009

Hi!

Friday the expo was being setup, and looks like
a few more booths than last year, as the hallway
looks like it will be full.

I made it to the Zenoss community day at SCALE.
( well more of for the last 1/2. )

It was well worth it, and looks like Zenoss has
gotten to be a fairly nice monitoring option
for people. In fact a well known LA based social
networking site was reviewing the use of it.

I had the chance to stop by briefly at the
"Demonstrating Open Source Health Care Solutions" (DOHCS)
and was amazed to hear some crazy COPYRIGHT issue
hindering/stopping people from making interoperability
of products and open source!

What copyright issue could this be? I mean you make
your own code (programming), so what if someone elses
code is copyrighted?

WELL, turns out this is the AMA CPT codes which
are mandated to be used by the govt!!! WHAT!?!?
We have to pay "royalties" and the like for
something which should be a free standard (imho).

Yessireeeee....

lookup "cpt code ama lawsuit" I was told
( the presenter didn't want to mention the
AMA.. hmmm guess he's gotten knocked on
this one before, so someone in the audience
told me to look it up! )

here's some of the top links:

"A victory for organized medicine"
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2007/09/03/prsc0903.htm

I'm certain there's got to be more juicy bits,
funny how the ama "press release" got top
billing...

some issues bought up.. ( this one is old.. 2002.. )
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CYD/is_9_37/ai_85591505

a quick reason why the AMA doesn't like open source...
the CPTs monopoly gives them $70 Million Per Year!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_Procedural_Terminology

seemed like a lot of people didn't like the
"victory" in todays session.

Anyways, SCALE is looking good, check it out.
OH! and try to park at another lot, the "Discount"
price at the Westin Parking is $14/day. ouch.

best
matti