[SGVLUG] Wine or VM

bb.odenthal at gmail.com bb.odenthal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 04:43:22 PST 2009

Claude,

I have a similar situation and VM works quite well.  In fact I've been running that successfully for many years now.  It's stable and I'm comfortable with it so I haven't pursued other VM technologies such as Xen or the like.

While I've gone through several incarnations of HW, currently I run a WinXP guest VM using VMware Workstation 6.5 on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. My laptop is an older Dell D610 Pentium M @ 1.7Ghz and 2GB RAM. While it's a modest device, I have run as many as four guest VMs (WinXP, Linux, Live CD, etc) each with 256MB of virtual memory without taxing the host system too much.

I regularly VPN into work using the WinXP guest and I use Internet Exploiter for various administrative duties, testing, accessing our company portal, etc.  My VM also has M$ Office, Firefox, Wireshark, Putty and a plethora of other applications I need.  All run as if they were naitive with the exception of some video apps which can be choppy at times depending on frame rate/size.  As a side note I really enjoy the USB and serial support that VMware offers.

My company has many M$ dependencies so that setup has allowed me to "survive" doing work using Linux as my primary OS. On the other hand, licensing all of those is quite expensive. Fortunately I didn't have to shell out the funds to cover it.

I admit that I am a coffee addict so my next dream machine will undoubtedly be a MacBook Pro running OSX with VMware Fusion for all of my guest OSes. Can't wait!

-bb