[SGVLUG] Review my CeBIT Wine presentation, anyone?

Miguel Hernandez migtek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 18:00:50 PST 2009

1) Your firefox logo (Firefox-logo-175.png) should probably link to
mozilla.org (it doesn't link anywhere atm)
2) Same as above for your "the web has multiple killer apps" slide (not sure
it's necessary but all other images on the slides seem linked)

3) On your slide "With HTML 5.0, web apps will work even when offline,"
might be a good chance to plug gOS 3.1- which comes with Google Gadgets
pre-configured out-of-the-box.
It also comes w/WINE 1.0 pre-installed & their features page talks about
Picasa for Linux: http://www.thinkgos.com/gos/features.html

4) On your "You can install WINE on Ubuntu Linux with Add/Remove
Applications" slide, might want to mention that by installing WINE (or any
other app, for that matter) this way, the user never has to go out & find
patches/updates as the system does it for you. Well, I'm sure you'll do this
but I've found that most Windows users don't understand that concept until
it's broken down for them. At which point, there's usually an "aha" moment
which stimulates TONS of dialogue & opens the flood gates in terms of how
they view Linux, its ease-of-use & which makes a nice segue into Linux
security.

5) The "Wine is free" series of slides (3) could provide a jumping-off point
for discussing why so many people believe in F/LOSS & their mandate that
everyone in the world should have access to software, regardless of race,
gender, religion, socioeconomic status. This might prove to be a valuable
4th slide in that series as this is another point most Windows users have
problems grasping.

Never been to CEBit myself, so not sure of the makeup (home users vs.
corporate, etc.) but more on ROI & economics is always good, imho (if you
can fit it in). Most windows users will say "i'm fine right now w/my
licenses" so mentioning to them how it will affect their wallets down the
line is very helpful- isn't MS going to stop offering to sell XP in April of
this year? That's the last I read & would make for a great slide, imho.

I think it'd be a great idea to present this at the WINE BoF @ SCALE. I'm
always of the belief that the more folks discuss their presentations, the
better they become.

hope that helps,
--miguel