[SGVLUG] Networking question

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 21:18:56 PST 2009

Hmmm,

I'm finding something odd.  It's an MS thing so not really on topic for this
list, but it may be related to my ISP problem.

When I am connected to the Internet I sometimes get kicked out of my work's
VPN connection.  (The MS exchange server box doesn't show anything in the
logs, it still thinks I'm dialed in.)  When I try and reconnect I get
'connecting - authenticating - (hang)'.  The logs on the server show that I
have been authenticated.  My computer says the server never answered back.

I've heard there may be problems with routers not allowing VPN pass-through
properly.  Has anyone experience this problem?

This problem happens on both my Linksys WRT300N and now on the new Linksys
WRTU54G-TM.  The Security->VPN_Passthrough settings are wide open: IPSec,
PPTP and L2TP Passthrough are enabled.

I find that if I power cycle the modem, then power cycle the router, then
disable and re-enable my network connection that I can sometimes connect.

The ongoing problem of the modem dropping connection can be resolved by
power cycling the modem.  Does anyone have a spare DSL modem I can borrow to
see if this is the source of all my problems?

Matti, I like your suggestion, but it seems a bit heavy handed just to limit
the amount of finger pointing.  In that it is not a sure I'll save that for
the last option.  Changing to a cable modem would at least change my problem
set. ;)  You suggest a service monitoring tool... I can tell when it goes
down.  What specifically did you have in mind?

Michael,  I have the modem and router plugged into a good UPS so I don't
think it is power dropout or fluctuations.  I can try a different UPS if you
think it's a good idea just to eliminate this as a possibility.  EarthLink
has run performance on the line/device a number of times, and all but the
last claim to have discovered the problem on their end.  This last time they
noted that the device was running a little slow.

Has the person who picked up my spare DSL modem at the LUG swap meeting last
year found a use for it yet?  If it's just sitting in a closet I would love
to buy it back from you.

Matt