[SGVLUG] Networking question

michael stolzle mstolzle at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 05:53:57 PST 2009

Matt,

Have you done a performance analysis on this device?  Also,  if you have not done so, check your power to
the systems.  Intermittent power problems are leading source of this stuff.

I am setting a VOip deal now and analyzing my eth1 interface using the following:

Use:  sysstat  package for SAR, iostat and mpstat. You may have to load it , but it is an rpm.
 Turn it on in Admin->services->sysstat

1. sar  -n  DEV  eth1   1   20

   for 20 samples at 1 second intervals on device eth1.

from my system.

08:37:30 AM     IFACE   rxpck/s   txpck/s   rxbyt/s   txbyt/s   rxcmp/s   txcmp/s  rxmcst/s
08:37:31 AM        lo      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00
08:37:31 AM      eth0      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00
08:37:31 AM      eth1      0.00      0.99      0.00     97.03      0.00      0.00      0.00
08:37:31 AM  wmaster0      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00
08:37:31 AM     wlan0      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00
08:37:31 AM    virbr0      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00

2.  sar -I  17    1  20

  for 20 samples of the Interrupts occurring on dev/eth1

  also  cat /proc/interrupts  to get the number also

3. If you turn on the sysstat service from the admin window, a file in /var/log/sa will save
   the system activity history.

Hope this helps,

HMS

 Best Regards,