[SGVLUG] Has this "wheel" been invented yet? (maintinaing a music library on varions devices)

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Dec 18 16:01:08 PST 2009

I've been browsing through my ipod, and realized I have not one or two, but actually several copies of various songs on it - at one point I had used my ipod to back up a laptop that I was upgrading from one version of SuSE to the next, and that laptop had copies of the songs that were themselves backups of other systems.  Also, "over time", what is or is not included in the ipod songbase has changed, so not all directories contain the same list (though most do)

Does anyone know of a good "music library" application to track (and track down) music stored on multiple devices (computers as well as ipods, phones, and other mp3 players)?  Some more curve balls the throw:

One of the directories I found was called "igor_backup" ["igor" being the device name I gave the ipod], and it appears to be a straight dump of the files (including podcasts) that were on the ipod itself [well, more accurately, stored in the particular copy of itunes that was the "master synch" for the ipod at the time]

The file /names/ have changed or morphed over time as well - I should, however, be able to rely on the "title" mp3 tag in the file itself

Some of the music isn't specifically "mp3", but even MORE proprietary [.wm4, .aac] as well as non-taggable [.wav]

Not all the files are in directories - some are in .zip files

Which, btw, brings up the storage /locations/ point: I have copies on the ipod itself (both as files the ipod can actually play as well as "stored on the device being used as an external hard drive"), on at least three laptops, a desktop or two, and a web server.  (oh, and maybe even on another external "network" hard drive...)  [and the laptops have both windows and linux on them]

Is there any single application that comes close to indexing multiple sources such as this (can amarok do this?) or am I going to be the one to "scratch this itch"?