[SGVLUG] Does anyone have a need for reading/writing Excel files?

John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Thu Apr 30 14:39:21 PDT 2009

In a posting purportedly from "Emerson, Tom (*IC)"
<Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> but lacking a digital signature, it is
written:

> Does anyone have a need for reading/writing Excel files?

I do this frequently with gnumeric[1].  I have to prepare a spread
sheet for use by a Microsoft captive.  My scripts use the Scheme
language to convert the data to XML and build a gnumeric compatible
version of the spread sheet.  Then I read it into gnumeric and "SAVE
AS" into the Microsoft format.

- From the Debian package description:

   Package: gnumeric
    Gnumeric is a spreadsheet application that interoperates well
    with other spreadsheets. It comes with plugins that enable it to deal with
    commonly used spreadsheet file formats.
    .
    The following formats can be imported and exported:
     - Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP (.xls);
     - Microsoft Excel 95 (.xls);
     - OASIS XML, OpenOffice.org XML, StarOffice (.sxc);
     - Comma/Character Separated Values (.csv);
     - Data Interchange Format (.dif);
     - Applix version 4 (.as).
    .
    Additionally, the following formats can be imported:
     - GNU Oleo (.oleo);
     - Linear and integer program expression format (.mps);
     - Lotus 1-2-3 (.wks, .wk1);
     - MS MultiPlan SYLK (.sylk);
     - WordPerfect family "Plan Perfect" (.pln);
     - Quattro Pro (tm);
     - XSpread or SC;
     - XBase (.dbf).
    .
    Gnumeric can export to LaTeX 2e (.tex), TROFF (.me) and HTML as well.
    .
    Gnumeric should be easy to use, in particular for users familiar with
    Excel.
    .
    Gnumeric is a GNOME application. GNOME (GNU Network Object Model Environment)
    is a user-friendly set of applications and desktop tools to be used in
    conjunction with a window manager for the X Window System.
   Homepage: http://www.gnumeric.org/

- --
 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13