[SGVLUG] Dev-sig location

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Apr 23 16:12:08 PDT 2009

I just got a letter from the Pasadena library reminding us it is time to make a reservation for the next year.  I've found another location where we don't have to go through this administration, plus there are more outlets as well as wired access to the internet.  (and a decent pizza place next door)

In return, I've offered for our group to help "maintain" their webserver [linux "admin" stuff, not web design]

First up: actually doing something usefull with the "backups".  Currently there are cron jobs that essentially do this:

   cp /home /storage/backups/$da -R
   gzip /storage/backups/$da

i.e., a full DAILY backup of the entire /home hierarchy.

These files then accumulate -- there are no provisions to purge old backups

They run out of room (often)

But it is on a separate partitition (/storage), and silently fails (no e-mail, or if there is, nobody reads it)

Suggestions?