[SGVLUG] FW: Video server

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 11:46:00 PDT 2009

Wow.  She sent me the data from her talk, Ext2 didn't do too bad in the
comparison.

Check out slide 55 at
http://www.slideshare.net/selenamarie/what-assumptions-make-filesystem-io-fr
om-a-database-perspective

Their performance data for a 2 disk RAID shows that Ext2 delivered twice the
performance of Ext3 in sequential writes and topped both XFS and Ext4 by
30%.  It held its own in sequential reads with XFS and was better than Ext4.
When you get into a database environment with read-write or random read
performance the same data shows ext2 still holds up well.  It looks like the
'off the cuff' advice I got from this group before I started the project was
right on the money.

Single disk data is shown on slide 50 and ext3 shines.  For 1 disk XFS and
Ext4 also outperform Ext2 in sequential reads and writes.

Slides 65-68 show Ext2's superiority over XFS and Ext4 for sequential reads
and writes.  It doesn't work nearly as well for random access.

Other notes:
Slide 80 - hardware RAID dies with Ext3 and XFS
Slide 81 - Ext2 and Ext3 SUCK CPU when using software RAID

Thanks for the contact Matti!

Slide
Matt