[SGVLUG] Dash Express GPS

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Thu Sep 25 14:26:13 PDT 2008

Stan Slonkosky wrote:
> I got an email yesterday from Traffic Gauge stating that they are now
> a dealer for the Dash Express GPS and that they are selling it for
> $199 (with 3 months service). The lowest price I could find elsewhere
> was Amazon at $254. You can also purchase longer service terms, but
> you can also purchase that later (e.g., just before the 3 months runs
> out, if you want to keep the service). The service costs $100 for 9
> months or $240 for 24 months.
>
> http://www.trafficgauge.com/device_dash_glance.html
>
> This is a Linux-based GPS and the software can be downloaded from
> http://www.dash.net/OpenSource
>
> Software updates come over the air via WiFi or GPRS, when WiFi is not
> available.
>
> See also openmoko.org .

So here is my question. Most of the GPL code downloads are simply user
land bits and GNU tool chain.
In other words things you can get anyway.

Is this required to distribute?

I mean if I make a device that runs Linux and then write a closed source
app on top to provide the functionality
what legal reason do I have to pay for the hosting of various open
source tools?

I'm glad they are using Linux and I am glad they are using off the shelf
software as much as possible. However
wouldn't the extra operational costs of hosting the downloads perhaps be
a turn off for using Linux?

--
Charles Wyble (818) 280 - 7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com