[SGVLUG] Idea for New PC

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Thu Sep 25 09:55:59 PDT 2008

Arthur Baldwin wrote:

> Thanks Charles for the links you sent me, but the processors are too
> slow for each of these products.

Sure. I figured that would be a point of contention. My question is how
much computing power is really required? You really need a core2duo?
That's a LOT of CPU power. Also 4 gigs of RAM seems very high. I think a
1ghz geode and 2 gigs of RAM would be adequate for many many uses,
especially the ones you outlined.

> The idea of having two "thumb drives" on board is based on the idea
> that "thumb drive" chips can indeed wear out after many writes, and so
> one chip should be used mostly as a "read only" device.

Yep. I just read an article in eweek this morning about that. Use one
for read and one for write.

> The bluetooth suggestion would probably be useful for applications
> where these JCBrick building blocks would be used for multiple MIDI
> controlled instruments.  However, it would probably also be a good
> idea to make more compact units to act as "slaves" in that situation.

Yep. Bluetooth and wireless usb are great for this.

> As far as the price is concerned, $400 would be the absolute maximum
> wholesale cost.  I think this is quite possible for a Taiwanese mfg.

Possibly. What would the minimum order be?

--
Charles Wyble (818) 280 - 7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com