[SGVLUG] Pasadena Ripoff

Christopher Smith cbsmith at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 08:44:27 PDT 2008

This is a little different than the LA case. While the first amendment
provides a lot of freedoms, it doesn't cover the right to make money off of
speech, and the government has lots of freedom to regulate businesses. As
long as the interference is mostly in the form of fees and it is limited to
blogs that are generating revenue, I think they have solid footing.

Where there is probably a more complicated issue is jurisdictional claims. I
mean, to what extent is a blog "in Pasadena"? Either way, I think the
solution to this problem is a simple cost/benefit analysis: if you can make
enough to cover the fees, then go ahead and pay them. If not, remove the ads
and move to a free or near free hosting service.

--
Chris