[SGVLUG] Any Gentoo Fanatics around here?

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Nov 26 10:42:05 PST 2008

Well, the good news is that the system was set up with some
sanity/flexibility in mind, so there are explicit partitions for
/var/www/html, /var/lib/mysql, and /home -- in fact, the "owner" of the
system tells me that I should be able to "drop in any other flavor of
linux without too many hassles", which is true since all of the "data"
is indeed in a "safe" place

The odd bit is that (aparently) the "actual" website isn't in
/var/www/html, but rather in /home/<someuser>/public_html  (though I'm
fairly certain the database that drives the "shopping cart" portion of
the site is in /var/lib/mysql)  Since /home is a separate partition,
this isn't a serious problem (though I'll probably arrange to move it
into the "proper" location at some point)

Another potential hiccup is that they have a "key" file for HTTPS
sessions that has a lockword on it, so that starting the web server
proper is a manual task (mod_ssl prompts for the passphrase -- I may
want to discuss that in a separate thread...)

I did bounce around in /etc for a bit, looking for the "rc<service>"
start/stop/status scripts and found there was only a couple (although
one of them was something like "rc-status", which listed all major
services that were running)  I did find /init.d/apache2, and then of
course ran into the passphrase on the ssl cert :)

And, as a bit of a blessing, it turns out X is set up, and running kde
3.3, so I could at least work with a few gui-based status/setup tools
that I'm more familiar with.  (not to mention vastly improved "screen
real estate" -- in text mode I think the screen was 80x24...)  [yeah, I
know, "as a server", why would anyone include X-windows?  It also looks
like "all of..." the default packages for X were included as well, so
there were things for learning spanish, games, openoffice 2.0, and all
that.  I suspect this was a straight download-and-install of whatever
gentoo was "current" as of around 2005 or a little earlier...]