[SGVLUG] help save the world, pwr off game consoles

Robert Leyva mrflash818 at geophile.net
Thu Nov 20 22:43:07 PST 2008

Knowledge is truly power:

Purchase or borrow a Kill A Watt meter (I did) and see what the actual
phantom loads are on things like the fridge, tv, pc, and game consoles.

Or, simply plug such things (except the fridge) into powerstrips with
switches, and 'hard' switch them off when not in use. Removes 'phantom
loads'. :)

If you really really have time to kill, I audited the power of many of my
home appliances using my Kill A Watt meter. Saved myself from buying a new
fridge, as I the recommendation is to replace any fridge 10yrs old or
older, as it 'probably is not efficient' only to measure my own and find
it was quite miserly.

--
"Knowledge is Power" -- Francis Bacon

Robert Leyva