[SGVLUG] open source ODBC drivers for Oracle on 64-bit Linux

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 16:36:03 PST 2008

Has anyone on this list gotten an open source ODBC Driver for Oracle
to work on 64-bit Linux?

One of my projects is porting an existing custom ODBC application from
Solaris to Linux.  They are currently evaluating a commercial ODBC
driver that works fine but it is rather expensive in terms of both
short term and especially long term - especially as they are
considering moving to something like PostgreSQL in the future.

Using the the 64-bit version of Oracle Instant Client ODBC (10.2.0.4
released 9/7/2008) I can use sqlplus and issue queries.  When I try to
add the open source unixODBC Driver Manager on top, as soon as I run
any of the test programs like isql or DataManager, I can connect to
the database but as soon as I try to do a select it dies with the
following error:

    [IM003][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Specified driver could not be loaded

Web searches show that there were known problems with the 64-bit back
with Oracle 10.2.0.1 and unixODBC regarding the SQL_NTS flag in the
SQLPrepare call but applying the workaround (use strlen instead)
didn't help.

Using the 32 bit versions of everything, I'm able to connect and run
queries w/o any problems.  I've done this on three different Linux
boxes (two 32-bit and the 64-bit box where I need to run stuff) and a
Solaris box.  If I try to use a 32 bit driver with a 64-bit client (or
the reverse), I get an obvious ELFCLASS32/64 conflict error.  If I use
the wrong setting in a ini file, the errors are obvious.  So I think
my configuration environment is fine.  I just can't get 64-bit stuff
working.

claude