[SGVLUG] Upgrading on a slow connection

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Tue Nov 4 12:06:06 PST 2008

Miguel Hernandez wrote:
> Charles,
>
> Not trying to pass false info or bash MS as I've been a user for a
> long time (still use XP almost every day). I recall reading the 768MB
> RAM bit as it was getting released.
> I had friends wanting me to deploy Vista for them for the cool factor
> & did so (or tried). None of them were happy w/performance out of the
> box. I tried the same thing w/mine & having 1GB of RAM at that time, I
> had the same (disgustingly latent) outcome.

Hmmm. Interesting. I am glad you actually tried it and weren't just
repeating things you had read. :)

All I can recommend is trying a more recent release (with SP1). I have
been using both Vista Ultimate and Business Edition without incident.

> What I'm getting at is that it's not false info if it's my experience
> w/the OS on varying hardware architectures. I trust your knowledge &
> experience, Charles but I've never seen it done. If you have any links
> on how-to's for performance tuning, etc., that'd be an interesting
> read for me.

Check out the windows installation toolkit. Also my experiences have
been with running in a virtual machine (virtualbox) and with CPU
virtualization extensions. Without that your experience will certainly
vary, but then XP is also a bad performer virtualized even with paravirt
features.  Vista is paravirtualization aware and as such will take
advantage of the features. At least that is my understanding of the
situation based on what I have read, and my experiences running it.