[SGVLUG] Upgrading on a slow connection

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Tue Nov 4 09:31:21 PST 2008

Miguel Hernandez wrote:
> Ya, it wouldn't run at ALL. Vista requires 768MB RAM just to boot up
> (iirc).

It does not. I wish people would stop spreading false information. I use
Windows/Linux/Mac on a daily basis. They all have there strengths and
weaknesses. I begrudge no one there choice of operating system. However
I do ask that people stop spreading false information. I have a vista
virtual machine with 256 megs of ram, and have run it with as low as
128. Vista automatically turned off the fancy features on less
resources. Too bad Ubuntu doesn't do that.

> XP "only" requires 256MB.

XP can run in as little as 64 megs of ram out of the box. With tweaking
I have run it in 32 megs of ram in a VM.

> Hell, I tried installing Ubuntu Hardy on an 800MHz laptop & it was a
> slide show.

Slide show?

> I agree, though, David. It would be super duper nice if when updating
> you were only sent the deltas & Linux had a tool to "put the jigsaw
> puzzle" together.

Well part of the problem may be the choice of distro. Ubuntu seems to
only pull the drivers I need. As for library packages, that's the nature
of the beast.
> Even when doing an upgrade, you can have problems. I just upgraded my
> Ubuntu Hardy to Heron server install & it was messaging me like crazy
> w/php-lib package errors.
> I already bugged it on launchpad, but I was surprised to have an
> upgrade issue.

Why? All software has bugs and issues with upgrades. Ubuntu isn't
perfect but neither is any other OS/software.