[SGVLUG] OT - MS VS studio free to attendees of launch event

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 20:27:58 PDT 2008

Hi!

Since you missed the Free "Beer" give-a-way...
(I'm shocked that the MS groups didn't say anything,
hmm.. perhaps they just don't like to share their
secrets ;->

I've re-ordered Charles suggestions

--- charles at thewybles.com wrote:

>  Or use python/java/ruby/c++ which are languages that have a proven
> track record powering the worlds largest websites. Utilizing tools
> like eclipse/netbeans which are pretty cool and free is probably a
> better tack.

Best solution imho
( unless you HAVE to go the MS route )

Free as in beer AND Free as in Freedom :)

> You can download a trial copy of the necessary software from
> Microsoft. 180 day trials are pretty common.

If you have to...

http://www.microsoft.com/heroeshappenhere/learn-more/downloads/default.mspx

[ remember some will not be happy with the license issues...

> Or you could you know... Purchase the software. I have purchased
> office/windows vista and 2008/exchange etc. Stop trying to get stuff
> for free.

If on a tight budget, and just using it to learn:

Hint - community college classes get you a student
ID and often the chance to buy academic licensed
software. [ academic licensed Software typically
have additional restrictions..

Again, OpenSource licenses save you many headaches vs
proprietary licenses...

best
matti