[SGVLUG] Open positions at NASA's JPL (UNIX/Linux Admins)

James Magdaleno jmagdaleno at columbususa.com
Tue May 27 11:46:45 PDT 2008

That reminds me, I have a fully benefited long term contract position at
JPL if anyone is interested (possibility to transition to permanent).

Feel free to contact me if with any questions.

Regards,
James Magdaleno
Technical Recruiter
Columbus Technologies and Services, Inc.
P: (626) 795-3556 EXT 124
F: (626) 583-4448
jmagdaleno at columbuswest.com

Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), a division of the California Institute
of Technology, is a lead research and development center of the National
Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).  The Laboratory is located
on a 176-acre site in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains near
Pasadena, California.

As NASA's lead center for deep space robotic exploration, JPL is a
professional home for people who enjoy playing a part in the discovery
of the universe.  If you share our passion, we invite you to do a little
exploration of your own and find a career opportunity that will have you
seated squarely at history's table.

Unix/Linux Systems Administrator
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Pasadena, CA
US Citizenship required

Description
Must have substantial knowledge and experience in installing, and
maintaining UNIX systems (Solaris, Redhat LINUX), and workstation
configuration. Requires Familiarity with basic diagnoses of system
performance, installed and upgraded software. Have fundamental
understanding of the maintenance of a Network System providing and
maintaining highest System/network security. Requires very good
understanding of NASA IT security standards and requirements. Should
possess excellent communication skills and be able to work with others
in a team environment. Must have good understanding of Unix/LINUX
testing strategies, networking skills and adapt analysis. Should possess
the ability to methodically exercise every option of a software package,
identify failures and then document those failures.

Desire: Computer Science or similar discipline with required years of
work experience under the CP4 job level. Must have substantial system
administration knowledge and experience working in environments with
large deployments of Unix/LINUX operating systems and networked
computing systems. Demonstrate the ability to define system
implementation. Self-motivation and drive extremely desirable.

Will: Support flight and non-flight Projects during their development
Life Cycle and during Mission Operations. Support senior IT Engineers in
the architecture of the infrastructure for flight hardware and software
Testbed. Be accountable for ensuring project/users systems installation
and configuration schedule requirements are met. Have the basic
knowledge in order to write and modify Shell, Perl scripts and to
address needs of the IT Engineers and users. Install, manage,
troubleshoot, evaluate UNIX, LINUX systems and workstations
configuration. Support the execution of Jumpstart and Kickstart. Add,
modify and delete user accounts. Maintain network services.