[SGVLUG] Samba performance issue

Rae Yip rae.yip at gmail.com
Thu May 22 19:38:22 PDT 2008

69 Celcius seems a bit high. On the other hand, if you're getting
decent performance except for every 20 minutes, I suppose that's not
the problem.

I was hoping that if your average throughput was high enough, then
increasing the buffer in VNC would decouple your sensitivity to
throughput jitter.

But I suppose that only solves playback and not the editing slowness.
It's not clear to me whether this is a network problem or a drive I/O
problem. Until you do comparative testing between local performance
vs. over the network, it's hard to figure out what needs fixing, so
you should start there.

You might also try seeing if you run into the same issue with NFS as
with Samba, if it turns out you're not seeing local performance dips.

-Rae.

P.S. Journaling improves data integrity but will impact performance
depending on the type of accesses.