[SGVLUG] PostgreSQL setup on Fedora 9

Rae Yip rae.yip at gmail.com
Mon May 19 11:38:36 PDT 2008

Usually with problems like this, you want the first error that shows
up in the failure output, not the last.

If you could post the rest of the errors to `service postgresql
initdb`, this might help us figure out what issue you're running into.
If the problem is  at all common, a simple web search on the right
error string may find a solution posted.

While a GUI installer for Postgres would be a boon for new users, it
wouldn't necessarily be more helpful in debugging a failure mode like
you're experiencing.

Given a choice between a GUI and a command line script that both fail
to install, I'd choose the latter. Of course, it'd be nice if those
weren't the only choices.

-Rae.