[SGVLUG] PostgreSQL setup on Fedora 9

Arthur Baldwin eengnerd at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 09:41:11 PDT 2008

Ok,

After installing F9 with the GUI version installer, I used "System", "Admininstration", "Add/Remove Software" to install postgresql-server and postgresql version 8.3.1.  I then went to "System", "Administration", "Services" and enabled and started the service labelled "postgresqld".  After "starting", I noticed that the "status" remained "unknown".  In F8 and the previous versions of PostGreSQL this was working before.

So then, I figured that postgres programmers probably wanted to make things more "secure" and that I would have to do some typical "setup" by hand.  The first instructions that I found in an article said to use "/sbin/chkconfig postgresql on" after logging in as user "postgres".  This I did and it gave me four "file exists" errors, which I expected to happen since the services GUI program had already done the same thing.

Then it said to use "/sbin/service postgresql start" while logged in as user postgres and when I did, it said "please initialize the database with "service postgresql initdb"".  So I did that and I saw some stuff "fly by" on the command line and then the script crashed with a final line of "g database".

The same thing happened on two different machines on which I installed F9 and pg 8.3.1, so I don't think this is hardware related or F9 installation related.

I wish that there was some GUI tool I could install that would allow me to setup pg without any headaches.

Arthur