[SGVLUG] Sweet spot for price/performance for new barebones system?

Christopher Smith x at xman.org
Sun May 18 15:59:33 PDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:55 AM, Christopher Smith <x at xman.org> wrote:
>
>> If you decide to stick with the Intel route, it looks like NewEgg has a
>> pretty insane deal on a FoxConn motherboard right now:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16813186125
>>

> Nice, but turns out I need a firewire port, and that doesn't seem to have one.
> I'm now tempted by the el cheapo eVGA motherboard,
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188022
> It only has single-channel memory,
> Its onboard LAN is crap, but I guess I can live with a PCI card.

Isn't it nVidia's ethernet? I thought that was nice.

Here's another board to consider. It's an older chipset, but otherwise a
pretty decent board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186116

It's about the same price, but you get a $10 rebate.
> Also, in the couple weeks since I first put together that wish list,
> Intel released the e7200. It has 3/4 the L2 cache, but it benchmarks
> well, and is cheaper.

Depending on what you are doing, the e7200 is a pretty sweet CPU! It'd
sure be sweet for MythTV.

--Chris