[SGVLUG] [OT]Hybrids and trains (was fuel prices and the dollar)

Christopher Smith cbsmith at gmail.com
Fri May 16 03:21:03 PDT 2008

David Lawyer wrote:
>> From: x at xman.org (Christopher Smith) Date: Wed May 14 09:39:40
>> 2008
>> In truth though, airplanes are much more fuel efficient than
>> that.  Modern aircraft typically get 3.5 litres per 100 passenger
>> km, or roughly 70 miles per passenger gallon, which does seem like
>> 10x worse than some of the more fuel efficient trains, but if you
>> look at American rail systems, the fuel economy is much, much worse
>> (I imagine partly due to low occupancy rates), so that might be how
>> it balances out. In general, the jet has the advantage of less
>> friction, although that whole "staying aloft" thing works against it
>> a fair bit.
>>

> For a history of passenger-miles/gallon for air transportation, see my
>  "Fuel-Efficiency of Travel in the 20th Century"
> http://www.lafn.org/~dave/trans/energy/fuel-eff-20th-3.html#air_eff
>
> For 2000 it's about 38 pass-mi/gal, but it seems that between 2000 and
> 2005 there was about a 17% improvement.
Yeah, we've been making even bigger strides than that. The Airbus claims
the A380 is another 17% better than any other aircraft designed today,
and Boeing's newer planes are also much more fuel efficient than their
predecessors (odd how this happens as energy prices go up eh? ;-). The
specific claim for the A380 is "2.9L/passenger/100km", although that
assumes a completely full plane and no cargo, but still this would seem
to suggest 3.5L/passenger/100km is a pretty real number (if only I could
find the original citation... ;-):

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/10/25/fsummit.climate.A380/index.html
> Amtrak gets about 40 pass-mi/gal so it's worse than airplanes.  I
> checked on reported train efficiencies in Europe and Japan where they
> use electric trains and they fail to take into account that it uses
> about 3 units of fossil fuel (or atomic energy heat) to generate 1
> unit of electricity, resulting in reported train fuel efficiencies
> about 3 times higher than they actually are.  Japanese trains often
> have 3 seats on each side of the aisle which makes them more
> energy-efficient, but could larger Americans fit in such seats?  This
> is where Mark Twain's "damn lies and statistics" comes into play.

Hmm... most of the claims I've seen for trains are at least twice as
good as that. Maybe Amtrak just isn't efficient? It is a little unfair
though to translate everything in to fossil fuel consumption, as
electric trains open up the possibility of cheaper energy sources, such
as hydro.
>> From: x at xman.org (Christopher Smith)
>> Date: Wed May 14 13:43:16 2008
>> That said, oil production levels aren't growing too quickly these days,
>> so energy conservation measures (particularly significant ones, like
>> driving less and/or driving more fuel efficient vehicles) really are the
>> most effective way for us to alter the supply/demand situation in the
>> short term. In the long term, you need some other source of energy (see:
>> http://google.org/rec.html) to become more cost effective than
>> petrochemicals to really have a lasting impact.
>>

> I just don't think that there is any other source of energy that's
> feasible.  I think we've underestimated the amount of embodied fuel
> energy it takes to make alternative types of energy such as solar,
> biofuels, etc.  For the case of solar, see
> http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:5ND_gDdBnTwJ:www.nps.edu/drmi/docs/DRMI%2520Working%2520Paper%252006-02.pdf+photo-voltaics+%22working+paper%22+navy&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&ie=UTF-8
> (WORKING PAPER SERIES 2006/02 Photo-voltaics Navy)

Even without government subsidies, and when prices for fossil fuels were
1/3 of what they were now, some alternative energy sources weren't
*that* much more expensive than fossil fuels (certainly a lot of them
are within an order of magnitude). Hyrdo is definitely cheaper, and if
we can get wind turbines that are just a hair more efficient, combined
with rising fossil fuel prices, that one seems likely to make it too.
Photovoltaics seem like they are making slow but steady progress along
those lines, and simpler photothermal solutions have fairly low energy
costs. Then there is wind power...
>> From x at xman.org  Wed May 14 20:00:58 2008
>> From: x at xman.org (Christopher Smith)
>> As the price of petrochemicals goes up, so do the options for oil and
>> gas producers. If the prices get much higher, Canada may become the
>> richest source of oil reserves in the world within a few years. Not to
>> mention that wind power starts to become a really nice alternative to
>> coal/gas/oil, reducing our need to consume it for power generation.
>>

> Wind power only is feasible due to subsidy, so it's not clear that it
> actually saves energy when one counts embodied energy correctly.
The federal subsidy for wind power is like 2 cents per kilowatt-hour
(there are state subsidies that help as well, but still). Given the
shifts we've seen in fossil fuel prices, I don't think those magical 2
cents are going to amount to much in the long term picture. While wind
turbines do require a fair bit of power to produce, their maintenance
costs are pretty trivial. I've seen EROI's computed for existing systems
in the 30's, and claims of newer systems that will double that. This is
all before significant economies of scale reduce wind's energy sink: the
manufacturing costs. Those kinds of numbers aren't that bad compared to
fossil fuels. Given the same accounting principles, I just can't see how
flaws in the calculations would change the story to wind being such a
loser compared to fossil fuels.

As far as I can tell, the big downer with wind is that currently they
don't like having wind generators near populations (which tend to be
where the energy is used), because of fears of turbines flying apart and
killing people (and surely there are ways to address that more sanely).
>   See
> the above link for Photo-voltaics.  I point out in my "in progress"
> Human Energy Accounting that the human energy used to make things is
> not being accounted for properly in embodied energy studies, as does
> the Photo-voltaic article.  But my article still needs a lot of work.
> It's at: http://www.lafn.org/~dave/energy/human_energy.html
> 			David Lawyer

One would imagine that factories can pretty much bang out turbines
without too much human intervention (maybe I'm wrong about this), and of
course the prohibitive energy costs of making the metals and such *are*
taken in to account, so I'm having a hard time imagining how the human
factors could really close the gap that much.

--Chris