[SGVLUG] OT: JPL open house and Thunderbirds at March ARB thisweekend

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri May 2 19:04:33 PDT 2008

you know, i meant to include a couple of warnings and suggestions:

Regarding the JPL open house.  Note the restrictions:

> The following items are not permitted at this NASA/JPL Event: weapons, explosives, incendiary
> devices, dangerous instruments, alcohol, illegal drugs, pets, all types of skates including skateboards,
> segways and bicycles. No bags, backpacks or ice chests are allowed, with the exception of small
> purses and diaper bags.

I'm assuming you can bring water bottles but it might be best to have
clear containers if you can.
I would advise getting there as early as possible as some of the
exhibits can get crowded such as the mars rover exhibits.  If you have
young kids, they usually demonstrate traversing rough terrain by
rolling over the kids on the floor (a light robot of course).  The
Phoenix Mars lander is suppose to touch down end of the month so I'm
sure there'll be a lot on that.  If possible check out the Space
Flight Operations Center viewing gallery which is where they track all
the space probes on the big screens.  I usually try to look for the
computers running Unix vs PCs.