[SGVLUG] A small company's view of the [pc] world... (Was: QCReports demo)

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 31 16:26:48 PST 2008

Greetings -- I'd like to forward to the group the beginnings of an e-mail I found on another list to bring about some "lively discussion" [Wirt -- feel free to join this e-mail list and defend your views or consider other viewpoints ;) ] [everyone else: you can consider joining the HP3000 list as well and post your comments/concerns there -- that list is very much like this one, only worldwide :) -- it even has it's own set of "colorful characters" whom you can set into violent posting mode with the simplest of messages...]

As you can see, the author of this program has a very small user base -- 500 clients or so.  He made a decision to port this to a "PC" because he didn't want to get stuck "with a single server vendor" again [i.e., Hewlett Packard and their HP3000 line] -- I'll let you read the rest of his reasoning, then open this up for discussion on "did he make the right choice?" [ok, that's kind of biased as I'm sending this to a Linux advocacy group ;)]

THERE IS ONE MAJOR GROUND RULE: there shall be no "personal attacks" along the lines of "what an IDIOT this guy must be..." -- I can guarantee you that this is one smart cookie as they say.  This somewhat implies a secondary ground rule -- don't harass the guy on his decision -- he made his decision based on factors that were important to him, and there is a non-zero possibility that the decision he made was "best" for him and his circumstances.