[SGVLUG] Linux laptop for Stellarium

John Wang red744t at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 13:42:20 PST 2008

--- "Emerson, Tom (*IC)"
<Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:

> I'm curious, though, why the embargo on China -- is
> it because you don't
> want your dollars flowing into that country [and/or
> supporting "slave"
> labor], or fear of inferior parts or construction?

China makes some great products and their quality gets
better every day, but the government hasn't change
much since Tienanment Square so it's not really slave
labor nor inferior parts but more like an
authoritarian government that has a habit of crushing
protesters with tanks . . .over and over again.  I
don't want my dollar flowing into the next
apartheid/nazi state.

. . . maybe I'll look into Asus, the last time I
checked most of their laptops were still made in
Taiwan but it's harder to find linux support and no
trackpoint:(  or something similar to apple's
touchpad.

To be honest, I only go as far as the country of
assembly.  The joke is I opened up my bargain dual
xeon intellistations I pick up on ebay and most of the
component inside are stamped "made in china" but as
long if it says "assembled in mexico" on the outside
I've done the best I can under the circumstances. . .
I should just give up and buy a newer thinkpad or a
macbook pro that can be bought at a bargain at college
bookstores but I just couldn't do it. . .

Anyone else running Stellarium on one those older
"assembled in mexico" A series thinkpads?  that's
another possible route for me.

John