[SGVLUG] FW: Hard drive question

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Mar 19 13:05:10 PST 2008

> -----Original Message-----
> From: sgvlug-bounces at sgvlug.net
>
> It is a LaCie external USB drive.

I know that you bought this from Fry's, and despite the comment in the
other thread (can't hurt?), I think he meant talking to the
manufacturer, not Fry's staff.

That said, I believe LaCie is/was originally sold as an Apple external
drive, so you might have a go at an Apple "Genius Bar" -- try and catch
them on a day and time when they aren't busy, and maybe they'll give it
a once-over and/or USEFUL suggestions  (when I bought an Ipod from Fry's
that started "acting weird", I did the same thing -- took it to the
Apple store to confirm that the weirdness "wasn't normal", and armed
with that knowledge, it made dealing with the Fry's staff much easier)

> The drive seemed to be
> working properly, but after removing many small files from it
> I decided to do a quick format to clean out the filesystem.
> The format failed about half way through due to 'an unknown
> error'.  I have not been able to get it to format under
> Windows since.  It works fine under Linux, some may ask 'so
> what is the problem?'.

Let me guess, this external drive MUST work in a heterogeneous
environment?  [that's a $2 word meaning 'windows and everyone else' ;) ]