[SGVLUG] OT: housing and bear stearns

Zack, James JZack at unex.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 18 09:14:04 PST 2008

We bought our place last fall and are perfectly happy.  We bought in
Alhambra near SouthPas, we got a good deal on the place (about 10k below
similar units in the area).  The price we paid has held pretty much over
the last few months.  I think the real problem areas are those long
commuter communities, the 909 if you will, that will have the biggest
drops in home values.  I never thought those houses out there were worth
what people were shelling out for them to begin with.  We might take a
loss short term on our place but we would be happy living here for 10+
years so no complaints here.

Personally, I don't think we should be bailing anyone out, banks or
people.  What sort of lesson does that send?  If we bail out all those
who got into those situations, what benefit is there for those of us who
are responsible?  I'll take another stim check  :)