[SGVLUG] wikipedia datacenter, firefox3 uses less mem, + a deal on ram

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 11:40:15 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Emerson, Tom (*IC)
<Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
> Oh, the FUD...
>
>> -----Original Message----- Of matti
>
> fyi -
>
> deal on ddr2 ram...
>
> http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OCZ-2GB-PC2-6400-DDR2-DIMM-Reaper-HPC-Ser
> ies-Desktop-Memory-Kit-OCZ2RPR8002GK/sem/rpsm/oid/198070/rpem/ccd/produc
> tDetail.do?
>
> ==================
>
> >From the webpage:
>
>   "800MHz: Boost your desktop's run time, allowing you to load, print
> and download your files faster. This memory operates at a fast 800MHz."
>
> Interesting claim, since
>
>   "load" time is constrained by the disk [can't load any faster than
> the disk will read it]
>
>   "print" time is constrained by the print-head [duh]
>
>   "download" time is constrained by your DSL/CABLE/dial-up modem/Smoke
> signals/whatever...
>
> And all of these are slower than memory in the first place [I'm almost
> tempted to say slower than 1mhz memory, but maybe disk speed is better
> than that -- gotta run to an un-announced meeting, so I can't "do the
> math" to be certain as to how slow memory has to be before it becomes
> the bottleneck instead of the physical hardware...]

Just remember this is a modern computer which means some type of
multi-tasking OS is running on it. So fast ram could lead to faster
"load, print, download" time sense tasks will be pulled in and out of
cpu cache (which all ram is massively slow in comparison). Now "print"
time could be effected by ram speed because it is not the actual time
it takes to put ink on paper but how long it takes for the computer to
generate the data to send to the printer.

Now as for "download" the actual task of downloading is not going to
be effected by ram speed, but if ram was really slow that same
Multi-tasking OS might not be able to keep up with interrupts
generated by the crap mostly software "name generic comm device".
Again the total experience could be faster, it will be more positively
effected by adding more ram then faster ram.

Just remember that they are talking user time faster not actual task
faster, remember most people will think that all the time between the
time they click a link and the web page is displayed is "download"
time, when on some systems and pages most of that time could be render
time.