[SGVLUG] wikipedia datacenter, firefox3 uses less mem, + a deal on ram

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Jun 26 10:35:49 PDT 2008

Oh, the FUD...

> -----Original Message----- Of matti

fyi -

deal on ddr2 ram...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OCZ-2GB-PC2-6400-DDR2-DIMM-Reaper-HPC-Ser
ies-Desktop-Memory-Kit-OCZ2RPR8002GK/sem/rpsm/oid/198070/rpem/ccd/produc
tDetail.do?

==================

>From the webpage:

   "800MHz: Boost your desktop's run time, allowing you to load, print
and download your files faster. This memory operates at a fast 800MHz."

Interesting claim, since

   "load" time is constrained by the disk [can't load any faster than
the disk will read it]

   "print" time is constrained by the print-head [duh]

   "download" time is constrained by your DSL/CABLE/dial-up modem/Smoke
signals/whatever...

And all of these are slower than memory in the first place [I'm almost
tempted to say slower than 1mhz memory, but maybe disk speed is better
than that -- gotta run to an un-announced meeting, so I can't "do the
math" to be certain as to how slow memory has to be before it becomes
the bottleneck instead of the physical hardware...]