[SGVLUG] port knocking anyone?

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 13:47:03 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 5:17 PM, John Lowry <johnlowry at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have used fwkop <http://www.cipherdyne.org/fwknop/> with great success
> before. You block SSH connection by default and let fwknop open up the port
> after a successful authentication.

John,

Would you be willing to give a presentation on this?  Do you use it
for anything but ssh?

I think I heard about this right after I gave my presentation last
year and then forgot about it.   My concern was that it required a
special client and if what if I didn't have my laptop with me.  I'm
paranoid enough that I wouldn't try this unless I trusted the admin,
ie, not at a cyber cafe.  Maybe on a friend's computer but I haven't
had a need to do anything like that in ages.  Maybe that's what USB
sticks are for.

As for my recent trip I was able reproduce my old configuration before
leaving and was able to push copies of most of my pics to my
fileserver before flying home.

claude