[SGVLUG] RE: New "cuil" searches suffering from the /. Effect... ???

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Tue Jul 29 21:42:03 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 02:40:35PM -0700, Solomon K. Chang wrote:
> Is it supposed to have the same functionality as Google?  Because I
> typed in a few keywords, and it told me there were no results for my
> search.  Also, it tried to fill in my keyword search, as if I was
> entering a single string.  The words I wanted would likely appear in
> the same document, but not all together.  Take this search for
> example:
>
> sgvlug linux caltech
>
> You'd think you see at least *some* pages.  Cuil comes up empty.

I tried it out too for some of my articles on transportation, etc. on
my website.  I typed "transportation energy" and it found
"Transportation Energy Data Book" at least ten times or so.  And it
found my index heading of "Passenger Transportation Energy" twice.
Then on my "in progress" article on "Human Energy Accounting" it
couldn't seem to find the actual article but only found instead the
index pages that point to it.  But typing some of the content did find
the actual article three times over.

So major problem: It finds the same page multiple times.  And I'd hate
to think what it does if that page is on hundreds of mirror sites.
So when they brag about how many pages they index, there are likely
lots of duplicates.

[snip]
			David Lawyer