[SGVLUG] capture a live computer

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Jul 21 16:19:18 PDT 2008

Hmmm... Just from the description, I figured that it was going to power
the outlet strip from one of the existing plugs and the "simple defense"
would be to plug straight to the wall, then he showed the
wall-grabber... :(

[not that I intend to get into a situation where my computer might be
"seized", --BUT-- I do like figuring out what "they" didn't think of...]

Just random thoughts -- an "isolated" power strip, i.e., each outlet is
isolated from all others, in a sense making the entire strip a series of
wall outlets, but by the time the investigator has figured that out, the
power is already dead...

Distance-activated keyboard locks (already available) -- these are
usb/bluetooth type devices where the dongle has to remain in the
computer (for usb) to work.  When the transmitter [on your person] gets
"too far away", the keyboard lock goes into effect.  It's fairly safe to
presume that once removed from the premises, it'll be "too far away"

[in linux/KDE, there is already a utility that will look for the
presence of a bluetooth "device", such as your cell phone, to remain
within the proximity of the computer to clear the lock -- provided the
phone isn't seized [or if it is, and they don't think to keep it
charged] it'll lock out at some point.]

Hmmmm... Indeed...