[SGVLUG] SGVLUG Meeting Thur 7/10 7-9pm

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 17:59:49 PDT 2008

Hi Folks!

Please help spread the word.
Please feel free to post on Craigslist.org
and any other places you know about.

thanks!
matti

----

General Meeting: Our primary meeting is held on the 2nd Thursday of every month
Time: 7-9pm
Location: 107 Downs at Caltech Campus in Pasadena

Topic:
What I did on my summer vacation...
or "Geotagging with Linux and Free Software" explained.

http://www.sgvlug.org/

July 2008: What I did on my summer vacation...
or "Geotagging with Linux and Free Software" explained.
by Tom Emerson

As many of you know by now, I've missed the last couple of meetings -- not for lack of interest, but rather because I was out of the country at the time! Since these two "vacations" where the first in many years, I got to thinking about all the neat things people are doing with their vacation slides and photos nowadays -- what with social networks popping up like flies (mushrooms perhaps?) and it seems everybody and their brother wants to "give you free file/photo sharing space" [nevermind the fact your visitors have to slog through dozens of annoying ads...] and then it hit me: the latest "craze" with photos is "geotagging"...

What's Geotagging you ask? Funny, I had the same question...

Actually, geotagging is a pretty straightforward task -- you're simply adding "GPS" data to the EXIF tags, or "metadata", of a .jpg picture. With just a little googling around, I found this to be a fairly stable operation, what with dozens of windows programs to do the work for you...

ut, of course, this is a Linux user group, so the task ahead of me seemed a bit more daunting: reinvent the geotagging-wheel with free/open software (or digg a little deaper for an existing solution) Sooo.... I got out my shovel and found out I already had the tools I needed installed and waiting, it was only a matter of learning how to use them properly...