[SGVLUG] Meeting this THUR! 1/10

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Jan 7 16:34:09 PST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 4:30 PM, matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> January 2008: Random Bits
> On short notice (ahem, our meeting is next week...), Dan Kegel has
> offered to talk about a variety of short subjects:
>
>     * Quick Picasa 2.7 for Linux demo
>     * Wine 1.0 status report
>     * Zumastor.org intro and demo

Here's a bit more detail:

Dan Kegel of Google, a longtime Linux user and developer,
will present a grabbag of interesting topics:

- Quick Picasa 2.7 for Linux demo.  (Picasa is Google's
photo management software for Windows and Linux, but
many people don't know about the Linux version)

- Quick Wine status report.  (Wine is Linux's implementation
of Win32; it lets you run many Windows applications.)

- Introduction to Zumastor.  (Zumastor is Linux's answer to ZFS,
kind of; it lets you take atomic snapshots of any filesystem, and
easily replicate those snapshots to remote systems.)

Dan is a developer for all three projects, and was elected the release manager
for the upcoming 1.0 release of Wine, so feel free to ask all
the technical questions you like...

- Dan