[SGVLUG] Eerie (new?) feature of google maps -- street-view...

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 17:12:20 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Emerson, Tom (*IC)
<Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:

> I don't know how long this has been there, but I just found out about this
> -- on the google map, if you see a street "outlined in blue", you can click
> on a spot on the street to get a street-level view (rotatable 360 degrees)
> -- anyone know where there is a mirrored building that they might have
> driven by so we can see what sort of van they're driving?
>
> (yes, you can see people on this -- mostly blurry, but some better than
> others...)
>
> Oh, and to keep this semi-on-topic, just imagine what sort of resources
> would it take to store, index, retrieve, and deliver this kind of content...
> It boggles the mind...

Well a quick google search of "google map van" offers a few hits.  The
picture at engadget was posted May 31, 2007.  I was looking at
something not that long ago and thought I spotted truck with lots of
gear on it but don't recall if that was via google or another website.
 Oh, according to wikipedia, the Google Street View feature was
introduced in 2007.