[SGVLUG] What Bill's been vamping lately...

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Tue Feb 26 16:35:04 PST 2008

Well, there are over 90,000 tech jobs listed on Dice.com alone.

Fact is, there are far more jobs than qualified candidates in the
states. Part of this is due to the backlash of offshore-outsourcing, and
part of it is due to a dysfunctional education system. The rest can be
blamed on disinterest, or misguided youth (aka: ipods, video games, and
pizza, etc. etc). =p

When the offshore-outsourcing trend started, a huge number of Americans
who lost jobs (or simply got worried), moved to entirely different
fields, and the ones who were considering this field, quickly saw a bad
short-term trend and thought it would be a long-term reality, so they
bailed into other fields or studies as well.

Now, (some of) the companies see the low-quality products returned from
such offshore ventures (particularly software/web development
sweatshops), or have run into a number of other business operation
problems by cutting such corners, and want to go-back to hiring
Americans for 'quality' work.

People like Bill Gates only contributed to this, so it's kind of ironic
to hear him say these things. Not that the shortage didn't exist before
the trend started, but it sure didn't help resolve the issue.

However, all of this does stem back to the public education system, and
lack of scientific/technological focus, regardless. Take a look at Los
Alamos National Lab... 60%+ Foreign Nationals, working on highly
classified and sensitive projects... *shrug*